San Francisco, California – The San Francisco Chronicle, the Bay Area’s most-read source of local and national news, today is pleased announce its first app for iPad. Users can experience the great content and features from the San Francisco Chronicle by purchasing a monthly or annual subscription through In-App Purchase on the App Store. Current Chronicle paid subscribers have access to the iPad app immediately through their current subscription, and for new users, access to the iPad app is free for the first 30 days.
The Chronicle for iPad is an extension of the newspaper’s award-winning, in-depth coverage that readers have come to expect from the Bay Area’s leading news source. Stories, features and photos are optimized for iPad to give users a richer, more visually dynamic presentation of the daily news.
“We designed the San Francisco Chronicle for iPad to make it easier for readers to engage with the content that matters most to them,” said Ward Bushee, executive vice president and editor of The Chronicle. “This will complement our already strong presence in print with more multimedia and breaking news features, but still retain a similar look and feel of the printed newspaper.”
With the iPad app, subscribers have the benefit of being able to read exclusive content and columns from The Chronicle’s staff of reporters and columnists before they are posted online. Their paid subscriptions give immediate access to these premium features every day of the week, including Sunday with its extensive features about food and wine, home and garden, travel, and style.
Other content features of the San Francisco Chronicle for iPad include:
* Chronicle articles and photos delivered instantly every day to the iPad with no need to download each day’s edition;
* Breaking news updated throughout the day, giving users a “live edition” of the newspaper;
* An entirely new way to discover the newspaper with carousel navigation that makes moving between sections and stories faster and easier than ever;
* Dazzling 360-degree photo panoramas of the Bay Area’s best-known landmarks and big-name events and festivals;
* Up-to-the-second weather and traffic to assist readers in planning their days and commutes;
* A seven-day archive of The Chronicle so users can read previous stories or features that may have been missed;
* A complete section of blogs from The Chronicle’s expert staff of columnists and reporters, plus insight and expertise from local celebrity bloggers, the celebrity scoop from The Daily Dish, the latest in pop culture from Hot Topics and breaking political news from Below the Beltway.
Adds Chronicle President Mark Adkins, “We are thrilled to have San Francisco Shutter Company sponsor our 30-day free offer for The Chronicle’s iPad app. Through their participation, we are able to offer this service to our readers so that they can enjoy this exciting new way to read The Chronicle. I’d also like to thank General Motors/Cadillac, Chase, Verizon and local real estate firm Pacific Union for being our charter advertisers for the launch of our new application.”
* Compatible with iPad
* Requires iOS 4.2 or later
* 9.9 MB
Pricing and Availability:
San Francisco Chronicle for iPad 1.0 is free for 30 days and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the News category. Monthly subscriptions for $5.99 and annual subscriptions for $59.99 are available through In-App Purchase.
Download from iTunesThe six-time Pulitzer Prize-winning San Francisco Chronicle is the Bay Area’s leading news and information source and has been connecting the region with its award-winning journalism since its founding in 1865. Combined with its online home, SFGate, the San Francisco Chronicle reaches 1.8 million Bay Area adults each week. Copyright (C) 2011 San Francisco Chronicle. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.